make be love see taste subscribe

Thursday, September 10, 2009

inside out - mags bags


This month for our inside out article, I have chosen to spotlight one of our trusted and faithful ‘oldies’ who has been pottering away at her craft for many years now. Maggie from Mags Bags has been with boutique markets and the former designers emporium for just over 12 months and has proven that the key to success is persistence, a love of life, love and family and a genuine passion to be around like minded creative people.

How long have you been knitting for?

I have been knitting since I was about 8 yrs old. In my generation young girls learnt to sew and knit quite young, in my case largely due to the nuns and a convent education.

How many balls of wool would you have used in your knitting career?

I have no idea. In my younger days I knitted most of my heavy jumpers and cardigans, but when I married and moved to the States that all changed thanks to central heating. I have only started knitting again in the last few years.

What are your thoughts of the young designers of today and the emerging talent showcased at boutique markets?

I love the young designers of today. I only wish I was young enough to wear some of the fun clothes I see in the stores. But the term ‘Mutton dressed up as lamb’ comes to mind and I resist the urge. The emerging talent I see at the boutique markets I find amazing, even those not so young. I just love Mondo cherry, Ookee Mee, Sandrine Marsh and Hemaka to name just a few. What a great group of people they are, very sharing and helpful.

Where do you draw your inspiration from to be creative?

Being creative is something in your genes, just like musical talent or a gift for languages or maths, all of which I'm terrible. My inspiration can come from many different sources, maybe a piece of fabric or a bag I see in a store. Sometimes my best bags result from one that is not turning out as I had intended so I will do something to correct it with good results. When I start a bag I generally don't quite know how it will end up.

What do you like to do to relax in your non-sewing time?

I am usually pretty busy with many other activities. My husband and I belong to Probus, we are active in our church, run a Bible study group in our home and I teach R.E. in the State schools once a week. I love to go to the movies with my husband, read books when I can stay awake long enough and gardening is another pastime I enjoy - although right now I'm fighting a scrub turkey for possession.

I take this opportunity to thank Maggie for sharing a small snippet of her life with us here at boutique markets.Come join us for the adventures hidden within on September 13

Leasl

0 comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from you, leave your thoughts here!

Regards,
The Boutique Markets Team