How lovely does this look from 'Kitchen Heals soul'!!!
We're making one this afternoon for a special dessert tonight...join us x
Apple Yoghurt Cake
- 1 1/3 cups (150 grams) plain flour
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (115 grams) castor sugar
- 7/8 cup (200 grams) unsalted butter, melted, plus a little extra for buttering the pan
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cups (125 mL) yogurt
- 2 apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup (75 grams) granulated sugar (for the topping)
- Preheat the oven to 180 C. Butter an 8-inch cake round.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, and salt.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the 1/2 cup of sugar and the melted butter until it has lightened.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating between each addition and scraping down the bowl as needed.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the flour mixture alternately with the yoghurt, beginning and ending with the flour.
- Stir in the sliced apples and the lemon zest, and pour the batter in the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle the 1/3 cup sugar evenly over the top of the cake.
- The original recipe suggests a baking time of 40 minutes, but I think it needs to bake for over one hour (until a tester inserted into the center (not through an apple if possible!) comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before serving.