It's Anzac Day tomorrow so enjoy one of our favourites from Donna Hay...
Anzac Caramel Slice
- 1 cup (150g) self-raising flour, sifted
- ½ cup (40g) desiccated coconut
- ½ cup (90g) brown sugar
- 220g unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup (75g) shredded coconut
- 1 cup (90g) rolled oats
- ⅓ cup (115g) golden syrup
- 1 x 380g can store-bought caramel filling or dulce de leche, softened
Preheat oven to 180ºC. Place the flour, desiccated coconut, sugar and 140g butter in a bowl and stir until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Using the back of a spoon, press the mixture into the base of a 20cm x 30cm tin lined with non-stick baking paper and bake for 20–25 minutes or until golden. Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Place the shredded coconut, oats, golden syrup, and remaining butter in a bowl and mix to combine. Spread the caramel over the cooled base and spoon over the oat topping. Bake for a further 20–25 minutes or until golden. Allow to cool completely before cutting into squares to serve. Makes 20.